Friday, November 10, 2017

Seasonal Tastes at The Westin Singapore


Seasonal Tastes is located on the 32nd floor of The Westin Singapore, amid the Marina Bay Financial Center area.  It offers quite a view of Singapore.  On the east, you can have a peek of the Singapore Flyer and the Art and Science Museum, through a narrow view point between other skyscrapers. 


On the south, you can see the mostly vacated Tanjong Pagar port, which is almost ready for new development.  Most amazingly, on both east and south side, you can easily see Malaysia and Indonesia.  It is a reminder just how small our little red dot is, and how amazing it is that we could enjoy great prosperity and safety in such a tiny island.

Their international buffet lunch offers a combination of western, Chinese, and Indian cuisines, plus seafood, fruits and desserts.

Fresh Prawns

Crabs

Their seafood section offers plenty of fresh prawns, which were very good.  The refill was fast too, I didn't encounter any shortage of prawns.  However, the same can't be said of the crabs.  At first, mud crabs were served, but most of the time, that container was empty.  Later on, when it was closer to the end of the lunch time, they replaced the mud crabs with the cheaper flower crabs.



For the Japanese section, the salmon sashimi was in constant supply, never a shortage.  I would say the salmon was not the best in class, but acceptable, especially considering the generous supply.  I didn't try the sushi, as I found that sushi consists mostly of rice, and it will fill up your stomach pretty fast, leaving no room for you to try any other more interesting, more pricey items.

Braised Lamb

Steamed Pork Belly

For the Chinese section, I would like to sing praise to their braised lamb.  I didn't know braised lamb could be so good.  The lamb was cooked with slow fire, together with beancurd skin and water chestnuts.  The lamb was really tender and you can effortlessly bite the meat of the bones.  The steamed pork belly was not bad, but then at my age, it was still a good idea to avoid excessive fat.

Rolley Turkey

Probably because Christmas is just around the corner, they also offered rolley turkey.  I am never a big fan of turkey.  To me, it is nothing more than a big chunk of very dry meat, bland in taste, and unpleasant to chew.  It was the very first time that I saw turkey cooked differently.  Here, the turkey was not just turkey, but with dry fruits fillings inside.  The juice from the fruits provided the much needed moisture to the otherwise dry turkey meat.  At the same time, the fruits also helped to bring some flavors to the bland turkey meat.

Hokkien Mee

Indian Crackers

For the Singapore section, they offered Hokkien Mee and Laksa.  Too bad, didn't have the stomach capacity to give them a try.  For the Indian section, plenty of crackers, and some vegetable and meat dishes which I didn't really try.  I only managed to try some crackers, but they were too salty to my liking.

Salads from Western Section

Other than those I showed above, they also had a very western section which offers plenty of greens, and many different types of cheeses and breads.  The salads were not bad, and I particularly liked their cheese.  I couldn't believe myself that I actually like blue cheese.  My friends warned me that such cheese was smelly and strong in taste.  Probably I had a natural inclination towards cheese, or my smell and taste functions no longer in working order, I found the blue cheese fragrant and taste was enjoyable.



Then there was the sinful dessert section.  I saw my friends swallowing up scoops and scoops of ice cream covered with thick chocolates, and other mouth-watering sweet items.  Somehow they all suddenly agreed that dessert was not counted as food, and it won't take up space in their stomach.

The dining environment was pleasant with a view, the staff were friendly and service was prompt.  And guess how much this lunch buffet cost?  It was just S$32++ for a weekday buffet lunch.

Overall I found the experience pleasant and not heavy on the pocket.  Good place to go if you are looking for a simple buffet with a view.


No comments:

Post a Comment