Monday, December 25, 2017

Santouka at Clark Quay Central


This is my second visit to this ramen restaurant in 8 or 9 years.  During my last visit, their ramen was way too authentic for me.  The soup base was so salty that it was unpleasant to eat.

Shio Ramen, $13.50++

This time, I ordered their Shio ramen.  The soup base was still as thick and milky, but the taste was a lot less salty.  I think they had made adjustment to their soup base so that it is more acceptable to the local taste.  It is also better from the health point of view.  Too much salt in a person's diet will have many serious consequences, including high blood pressure, diabetes and even stomach cancer.  Japan has one of the highest stomach cancer cases in the world, partially because of their diet.  It is great that they made the adjustment. 


Back to my Shio ramen.  The chashu was thinly sliced.  The proportion of fat and lean meat was good.  Melt-in-your-mouth element was still there for the fat part.


Ramen-wise, it was like our egg noodle, and I think it was slightly over-cooked, leaving the contour less clearly defined. 

Overall, their ramen was quite enjoyable, with good adaption to the local taste for the soup base.
The staff were friendly and service efficient.  If you choose your table correctly, you can enjoy the view of Clark Quay while enjoying your ramen too.



No comments:

Post a Comment