Wednesday, May 30, 2018

JB Food Hunting 02 - The Replacement Lodge and Kitchen

I got to know The Replacement Lodge and Kitchen through Instagram.  It shows up quite often and seems quite 'instagrammable'.  Out of curiosity, I paid it a visit on a fine Sunday afternoon.

To get there, get to City Square in JB, look for the MacDonald on the ground floor, walk out of City Square into Jalan Wong Ah Fook.  Then walk towards Johor Strait/Singapore, until you see an Indian temple.  Walk across the street to the street behind the Indian Temple, turn left and continue walking, until you reach Jalan Dhoby.  The Replacement is on the right, behind a very run down place.

The Replacement Lodge and Kitchen Building

We got there around 12 o'clock noon.  They only had outdoor seating at that time, if we wanted to have indoor seating, we had to wait for 15 minutes or so.  Considering the raving heat outside, we decided to wait for indoor seating, in the comfort of air-conditioning.

The Counter

The interior design is simply, fusion with both modern and some hints of retro.  The patrons seem to be mostly young people, I mean really young people, those who are in their late teens to early 20s.  The staff there are also very young, about the same age group.  My friend and I looked pretty much out of place :(

We were soon offered an indoor seating, sofa seats.  The two of us occupied two sofas that could fit at least six people.  I wondered why nobody took up such nice seating while the whole place was full?  I got the answer the moment I sat down.  My butt was expecting a comfortable, soft cushion when it hits the sofa, instead, it met with the hard, cold wooden frame underneath a paper thin layer of fake leather!  In addition, water was dripping down from somewhere on to one of the seats of my 3-seater sofa.

As we already had our lunch that day, we only ordered a dark chocolate cake, a piccolo for myself, and a mocha for my friend.

Dark Chocolate Cake, RM18.90++

A sponge cake with a layer of hard crust of dark chocolate was served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, with biscuit crumbles as the topping.  The cake was not bad.  Rock-solid crust of dark chocolate!  Those that like it bitter must have loved it to the core.  The sweetness of the vanilla ice creams softened the impact of the bitterness of the dark chocolate, leaving a pleasant sensation. 

Piccolo, RM 11.00++

My piccolo was acceptable, but comparing it with the one I had from The Botanist, it lacked the nutty fragrance, the punch was also much milder.

My friend ordered the mocha, and it was a total disaster.  It didn't taste anything remotely like mocha.  I had a sip.  Yucks, was it actually water chestnut juice?  Or something like that?  My friend said it tasted like durian.

Our bill came to a total of RM50, including service charge and GST.

My opinion is that this place is hip, but there is quite a lot of room for improvement.  Eventually, what attracts people are good food, good drinks, a nice and comfortable environment, which they are lacking in some.


No comments:

Post a Comment