Thursday, August 24, 2017

Ah Soon Kor Hokkien Mee Penang

Ah Soon Kor Hokkien Mee is located at a coffee shop on the corner of Lebuh Carnavon in Georgetown.


If you walk along Lebuh Carnavon, you will never miss it, as it probably is the only shop that is open so early in the morning (7.50AM).  There are a few stalls, selling Lor Mee, Ho Fun, etc.  There is only one stall selling Hokkien Mee.  There is no name at the stall, how did I know it is called Ah Soon Kor Hokkien Mee?  Actually I don't know, at least not known for sure.  According to "Georgetown Treasure Hunting Map" that we got from the airport, the one at this corner is the Ah Soon Kor Hokkien Mee!  Haha...get used to it.  Nothing is for sure in Malaysia.

The coffee shop setting is very old-fashioned and layback.  I suspect even time runs slower here.  Nobody seemed to be in a hurry.


I ordered the big portion (RM5.00), and added pork ribs (RM3.00).  The presentation is very normal, but the first sip of prawn soup blew me away.  Wow...it was very sweet, not by adding sugar though. I always wonder how they prepare the soup.  I think they remove the head and shell of the prawns, then fried the heads & shells.  After that, add water and pig big bones to cook the soup.  It takes hours for the soup to be ready.  In Singapore, they usually use big prawns, which give very good presentation.  Here in Penang, it seems they like to use small prawns.  There are plenty of small prawns from the nearby fishing ports.  I still remember when I visited my friend's home, a fishing village in Taiping, there was a small mountain of small prawns when the fishing boats came back in the morning.

Using the freshest small prawns may be their secret to cooking up the best prawn noodle soup in town!  I would say this is the best Hokkien Mee I have ever had so far.  It had that original taste from the ingredients, not from any artificial flavoring.  Good!

We had our Hokkien Mee for breakfast at around 8am.  Then later when we passed by again at 11am, the stall was already closed.  Noir!  If you wanna try this stall, please be early:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment