Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Man Man Unagi at Duo Galleria

The famous Japanese restaurant Man Man Unagi recently opened a new branch at DUO Galleria.  Where is DUO Galleria?  If you are taking MRT, alight at Bugis station, then take Exit F from Bugis Downtown line station.  Once you come out of Exit F, you will enter the building called DUO, which is very much like a ghost town, as 99% of the shops are yet to open.  It is very new.  Take the escalator to street level.  Here you will see three paths, take the center one, and soon you will see Man Man Unagi on your right.  It is the only restaurant that is in operation at the time of my visit.


Man Man's operation hour is 11.30 - 15.00 for lunch, 18.00 - 22.30 for dinner, closed on Sundays.  I arrived there at 11.45 on a Saturday morning.  There was already a small queue at the door.  The restaurant is really small, even smaller than a normal sized Ya Kun store.


After waiting for about 15 minutes, I was ushered into the restaurant.  The interior is of a typical Japanese restaurant, small, crammed, but cosy.  The chef was busy preparing the grilled unagi in the kitchen which is behind a glass wall, right in front of me.

Large Hitsumabushi, $39.40+

I ordered the large hitsumabushi set.  Hitsumabushi basically means eating the grilled eels in three different ways.

1. Scoop the rice and the eel into the eating bowl, eat it with its original taste
2. Scoop the rice and the eel into the eating bowl, pour some soup, add spring onions, wasabi, and eat them together
3. Eat in your most preferred way, whichever it is

I like all three ways of eating their unagi, although my most preferred way is eating it original.  Their unagi is freshly flown in from Japan daily, so it is very fresh.  The chef skillfully grills the eel to just nicely cooked, but still keeping the unagi's tenderness and its juice.  Coupled with the fragrance of the Japanese short-grain rice, it was a heavenly treat.  I greatly enjoyed my unagi meals when I visited Japan last year, and Man Man brought back all the good memories.  I must say Man Man's unagi in Singapore tasted just as delicious as those that I had in Japan.  Two thumbs up for Man Man.

Another special point is that Man Man provides its patrons a real wasabi plant and a grinder to make their own wasabi paste.  You don't have to wonder whether your wasabi is coming from a natural plant or a mixture of chemicals.  It is 100% natural!  This is the very first time that I made the wasabi paste myself.  The spicy taste was discretely strong, giving you a sporadic stimulant from time to time, without overwhelming the taste of your food.

Overall, I greatly enjoyed my lunch.  I will come back whenever I have my cravings for unagi.  

No comments:

Post a Comment