Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Kent Thong Turtle Soup at Chinatown Complex

Kent Thong Turtle Soup stall 

Kent Thong Turtle Soup is a stall at Chinatown Complex hawker center.  To locate it, look at the color of the tables, first go to the blue zone, then look for its unit number, #02-188, a very auspicious number in Chinese custom.  


I ordered the $12.00 turtle soup.  First impression, the smell of Chinese herbs was minimal.  The only scent came from the aroma of Chinese parsley.   It will be more acceptable to people who don't like strong herbal smells.  

The portion of meat and soft-shell was reasonably generous.  The turtle meat here is different from those from Ser Seng Turtle Soup.  Ser Seng's turtle meat has no bones, but here there were quite a bit of bones, which was quite a nuisance sometimes.  The section of meat of the turtle probably was also different.  The meat here was dryer, harder to chew.  It will suit those who like to chew beef junkies.  I must also point out that one piece of the turtle meat actually had some unpleasant smell.  Probably it was not properly cleaned.  The soft-shell part was good, soft yet crunchy, sounds very self-contradicting, but it happens.  

On the day of my visit, only one old lady was tending the stall.  She handled everything, from taking orders, receiving payments, to delivering food to your table.  I seriously think she should just ask the customers to self-service instead.  She was in good spirits and agile, but then when she was out to deliver food, nobody was at the stall.  

How I came to know this stall is worth mentioning.  After I put up a post in instagram of Ser Seng Turtle Soup, kent.thong_turtle.soup, an instagram user, actually liked my post.  That's how I first heard of this stall, and decided to give it try.  

My verdict?  I most probably will choose Ser Seng over Kent Thong.  I think they should have more man power so that the older generation can focus more on the food preparation, while the younger generation can handle the duties of cashier and serving food.  Just my 2 cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment