Friday, October 12, 2018

Momo Corner in Thimphu Bhutan



At one un-noticeable corner outside the weekend Farmers' Market in Thimphu, Kingdom of Bhutan, there is this shop called Momo Corner, selling Momo, the native name for Chinese-style dumplings.  Linguists suspect the name is derived from the Chinese name Mo, which actually refers to another kind of food.  Anyway, this is my only venture outside of the tourist establishments for my 7-day Bhutan trip, and truly mixed with the locals.


My guide helped me order a plate of beef momo.  Well, the momo looks just like our Chinese dumpling.  There are many variations to it, but the one I had had very thin skin, a bit similar to our wanton skin.  The fillings were mostly beef, plus some small amount of other ingredients.  The taste was good.  The locals like to eat the momo with some chili sauce too.  I didn't know Bhutanese like chili just as much as Singaporeans. 

I visited the place at around 3.30pm, the place was not crowded and I could easily find a place to sit down in the small shop house.  My guide told me that this place is quite famous among the locals, and once their King came, and the place was so crowded that even the King could only eat the momo standing. 

If you have the opportunity to visit Bhutan, pay them a visit.  It will be a nice experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment